Does data make a difference to decisions at sea level?
The fisher committee at Kukuu village think so.
Yesterday they analysed octopus catch data for our last 2 ½ years. The results are very clear, the committee are confident that this will help convince fishers to continue to support the reef closures regime in the years to come.
Amongst the reasons Kukuu fishers committee gave for the data collection are;
– Monitoring the impact of their management.
– Providing evidence of their success for other interested communities.
– Ensuring octopus reach breeding size.
– Informing decision making.
– Documenting the kilograms of octopus harvested.