MWAMBAO is immensely proud to announce that our joint application with Fauna & Flora International (FFI) for the highly competitive Darwin Initiative has been successful! This UK government funding programme is aimed at supporting countries with rich biodiversity but limited financial resources.
This marks a major step in MWAMBAO’s operational activities; as well as securing funding for a four-year period, the project will be the most significant one we have taken a lead in since our inception.
Building upon our current FFI-funded capacity-building of two Shehia (village) Fisher Committees in the Pemba Channel Conservation Area (PECCA), we will commence work in four additional shehias, covering a total area of 10,500ha of PECCA.
Project objectives are an overall strengthening of collaborative-fisheries-management in PECCA, increased fish catches for coastal communities, improved wellbeing and diversified livelihoods, healthy and functioning coral reef ecosystems, recovery of vulnerable reef species and a reduction in by-catch of cetaceans.
MWAMBAO is excited about entering a new chapter in the history of our organisation!
- Election of leadership & launch of Management Committee for our eco-credit MKUBA programFebruary 17, 2020 - 7:40 am
- Is this the first ever record of a common blanket octopus in East Africa?February 4, 2020 - 10:19 am
- Boma Subutuni: 17th village engaged in community-led temporary closuresJanuary 28, 2020 - 12:55 pm
- Blog: Breaking down market barriers to benefit communities and biodiversityJanuary 20, 2020 - 12:46 pm
- Watch this space in 2020…here we comeDecember 31, 2019 - 12:42 pm
- Learning exchange visitors from Lamu County, KenyaDecember 26, 2019 - 12:21 pm