Election of leadership & launch of Management Committee for our eco-credit MKUBA program in Kukuu village, Pemba.
MKUBA stands for Mfuko wa Kutunza Bahari, meaning “Fund to care for the sea” in Kiswahili. Borrowers commit to specific actions that contribute to the implementation of conservation measures in-line with and supporting their local conservation management plan. They also receive business management training to utilise their loan effectively. This MKUBA project is supported by our partners Fauna & Flora International and GreenFi.
Equitable representation within the MKUBA Management committee was determined as a priority in the annual general meeting in December – ensuring the committee includes a woman leader, Sheha (the village leader), Imam and representatives from the village fishers committee and each loan group. The new committee will work to support, advise and monitor the 132 members engaged with the scheme at this point, and ensure conservation actions and business ventures being conducted are effective.
Communities lead, we support, and together we create effective resource and governance systems that result in stronger and healthier people and ecosystems.
- Election of leadership & launch of Management Committee for our eco-credit MKUBA programFebruary 17, 2020 - 7:40 am
- Is this the first ever record of a common blanket octopus in East Africa?February 4, 2020 - 10:19 am
- Boma Subutuni: 17th village engaged in community-led temporary closuresJanuary 28, 2020 - 12:55 pm
- Blog: Breaking down market barriers to benefit communities and biodiversityJanuary 20, 2020 - 12:46 pm
- Watch this space in 2020…here we comeDecember 31, 2019 - 12:42 pm
- Learning exchange visitors from Lamu County, KenyaDecember 26, 2019 - 12:21 pm